Week1: Discussion Reflection

    So far, my discussion in this course was about a comparison between a community and a network, the use of Twitter, and Generation C learning (for this one, I just lurked. Well, I did like some of my peers' comments.). 

    I had a chance to think about why we need a community when learning. Then I remembered my experience. When I was having trouble running my meta-analysis, I definitely needed to know more about R. So I went to Google, and pasted the error message I copied from R. There were other people struggling with similar messages in Stack. Overflow, where people exchange questions and answers. There, I could get a hint that it may be due to an uninstalled package about font styles. Still, that wasn't enough to solve the problem. So I had to figure out how to draw a forest plot in other software, not R. I could find a blog post about how to draw a forest plot on Excel, which included a link to a 6-minute-long Youtube video. 

    So I definitely used a lot of social media (blog, Youtube) and online community (Stack. Overflow) to learn things. I still use books and papers a lot, of course. But without the help from those Web 2.0-based tools, I couldn't have finished the analysis and just got stuck, feeling useless. Now I can see the power of this type of learning.

    But I still doubt the educational affordance of Twitter. If we learn a new piece of information from Twitter about a coming-up seminar, can we still call it a learning experience, not an act of communication? 

    Also, Megan did an amazing job providing examples of educational practices embedded in Web 2.0 artifacts. I especially liked her idea about history. Honestly, I think it can really be developed to be a research project.

Comments

  1. I like how you've connected your experience working with meta-analysis and consulting the hive mind online to find your solution.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week4: Lingering Questions

Week5: Discussion Reflection

Week3: Discussion Reflection