Week4: Discussion Reflection

     The discussions this week were all interesting in general. I'd like to note some of my thoughts here.

    First, I think I am a rather naive reader when it comes to assessing expertise. Or I do assess their expertise but do it unconsciously so that I didn't really think about the process. My classmates posted good opinions on how to distinguish expertise. I agree in general, but I think as a reader, we can feel the expertise... once we have enough information literacy. Am I saying too broadly? But that is why education for information literacy is important, isn't it?

    I also have an experience with crowdsourcing data. Last March, I posted a flyer on my social media about surveying teachers about their experience during Covid-19. I stated in the flyer that the survey is for 'in-service teachers in the U.S. elementary schools with at least three years of experience'. I got almost 300 responses over two days, with very low quality. Qualtrics saved me with its functions for detecting the location, duplicating IP addresses, time period for answering the survey, etc. With all this metadata, I could sort out only 182 valid responses. 

    Lastly, Serena and Bobby made really interesting posts about using badges in K-12 education and tagging. I am looking forward to their updates, also Serena's progress in Diigo. She mentioned a really interesting study from 2007 about tagging and I feel tagging is related to having shared legends. In my research project that I am working on as an RA, the principal investigator always emphasized having an integrated system of legends so that all the members are on the same page. I think tagging is necessary for the same reason. But for personal use, tagging will be more for an individual's self-efficacy or self-regulated learning practice. I was thinking of a research topic, to compare students' self-efficacy or level of self-regulated learning with or without tagging practice. Would tagging be really effective for improving one's learning performance?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week4: Lingering Questions

Week5: Discussion Reflection

Week3: Discussion Reflection